Saturday, June 11, 2011

Beyond Personality Theories

One of the biggest problems I've run into while studying personality theories is that I can't easily share what I'm seeing with people who don't know the theories I'm talking about.  I mean, honestly, how many people in the world know what "extraverted logic" means?  It gets even worse when I want to talk about a personality type.  Acronyms like 'SEI' or 'Type 4' are complete nonsense to most of the free world.

But no one ever said that there were rules against using normal words to describe people.  Bubbly. Curious. Analytical. Vindicative. Complacent.  I may not be able to share my knowledge exactly, but then again since when was anyone able to take any sort of complex understanding and give it over to someone else?  That's totally unrealistic, and very often unnecessary.  Your understanding develops as you develop, and sometimes it takes an entirely different view of the world for someone to accept a single fact.

I see theories as stepping stones in the development of your own understanding.  People are complex, and sometimes it takes seeing a few different perspectives to really get a good idea of where people are coming from.  But people are also dynamic, and if we cling too tightly to our beliefs we won't even be able to see what is happening right before our eyes.

From this point on I won't be talking about personality theories.  That was never my intent in the first place.  I only included an analysis of personality theories so that people would have something to turn to for a more comprehensive understanding of personality.  Rather, this blog is geared towards what we can see if we see the world through the lens of personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment