Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Contrasting Personality Theories

Every theory has a different purpose in mind, and whether one theory is better depends on what you want to use it for.  So choosing a personality theory to use is more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

There are three major theories descending from the work of Carl Jung:
  • MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)
    • developed directly from Jung's work
    • focuses on perception and decision-making
    • most accessible (due to its popularity); cognitive
    • best for discovering how people see the world
  • Socionics
    • incorporates information metabolism
    • focuses on how people react to types of information
    • most accurate; mathematical
    • best for discovering underlying principles of personality
It's true that I'm partial to Socionics, but I think I am justified in saying that Socionics is more accurate than MBTI (and since KTS was developed from MBTI, it too).  I am even comfortable saying that Socionics is better than MBTI, but I acknowledge that each theory has its uses.  I have done my best to pinpoint what each theory does better than the others.

Socionics is often touted as the theory of human interaction, but all of the theories have some interesting things to say about how people will get along.  What's unique about Socionics is that it takes the perspective of people being the givers and receivers of information.  Everything in Socionics is in terms of people's relationship to each type of information.

All three of these theories are based on pretty solid footing, and science is catching up to support that.  Dr. Katherine Benziger has amassed some very interesting findings that support Jung's theory.  Not only are different areas of the brain correlated with the different Jungian functions, but also one's dominant brain area is 100 times more efficient than the other parts of the brain.  The details of each theory are still in question, and probably will be for a very long time.


In addition, we also have the Enneagram:
  • Enneagram of Personality
    • developed from spiritual teachings of George Gurdjieff
    • focuses on internal imbalances and ego fixations
    • tool for self-discovery and personal development
    • best for understanding people's inner problems
I haven't really found anything quite like the Enneagram.  The closest I could come up with is the PMAI, which is developed from Jung's archetype theory, but I couldn't find much material on it.

I include the Enneagram because it is the most comprehensive theory I've found that doesn't resemble Jungian types, and it provides a nice contrast to them.  Jungian theories are focused on how we think and act.  They're very logical and structured.  The Enneagram, on the other hand, is focused on our motivations and emotional reactions.  It's more open and spiritual.  Jungian theories are about how we were born; the Enneagram is about how we developed.  Jungian descriptions focus on mental landscapes; the Enneagram focuses on emotional landscapes.  Each complements the other quite nicely.

It's become common practice in most Enneagram, Socionics, and MBTI communities to combine the Enneagram with a Jungian based theory.  But if you're not a typology nut, it's probably best to just pick one theory, read about it, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment